Mon, 8 May 2017
Do you know how to effectively sell? The ability to sell is one of the most useful skills to have in this world. While it is essential to business, it also plays a large role in other aspects of your life. Your ability to persuade others will determine to a large extent the amount of success that you are able to have in life.
So today I am going through the details of how to improve your sales pitch and close more leads. When it comes to selling, a lot of it is an inner game with yourself to create the right mindset to be able to effectively help your lead take the action that will change their life!
Listen to this episode to find out how I was able to sell millions of dollars of product over the phone, and find out how to improve your pitch and become more persuasive!
- Consider your sales activity as helping people to take action that will be good for them. You’re helping them, not the other way around
- No matter what you’re selling, it’s all about creating and showing value
- Sales is all about identifying the pain point of your prospect
- After you understand the pain, speak in that language, and focus on that
- Get your prospect to identify their past, the pain, and then see your product as the solution to that pain
- Understanding the pain, and having had it yourself, helps you so much
- Ask your prospect how making the change they want to make, solving the pain, would change their life
- Sales is all about comparing your past pain with the potential future of solving the pain
- Authenticity is essential to sales
- Your ability to open up and being genuine is going to separate yourself from other people who are trying to sell them
- Review your sales pitch, and try to identify where you lost the sale
Direct download: 20170429-121130.m4a
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Fri, 5 May 2017
Are there things that you have always wanted to do, but just haven’t found the courage to do so? Is there a place you have always wanted to visit, but haven’t made your way there yet? Is there a job you’ve always wanted, but have never applied for? Why have you not done these things? Realize if you never try, they will absolutely never happen.
Completing these things, is simply as just showing up. You will miss out on these things if you never attempt them. You will regret it, for who knows as long, as well as missing out on great experiences, or even something that could change your life.
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James broadcasts from the Jake Owen concert in Nashville, Tennessee. He discusses the importance of chasing after your dreams, and just showing up.
- While performing, Jake Owen shares his story of his life, which inspires James to share parts of it.
- Jake Owen called his parents and instead of pursuing his career, he went to Nashville, and thirteen years later is playing in concerts around the world.
- What’s the lesson? If your heart is telling you to do it, give it a shot!
- Sometimes you just have to say “F it,” and make your move.
- Woody Allen said, “80% of successes is simply showing up” - Just show up!
- James auditioned for a job with ESPN as a sports anchor and got the job. He simply showed up and the results were positive.
- Just show up!
- What is a thing that you know you want to do, but you just haven't done yet?
- Where is a place you have always wanted to go to, but haven't visited yet?
- Proximity is power, put yourself in a place where you are surrounded by people that you want to be like.
- Challenge yourself, and do something that you have been wanting to do for a while.
Direct download: James_-_EP_291.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Wed, 3 May 2017
Have you ever thought about the impact your friends have made on your life? Think about your closest friends, have they impacted you positively or negatively? Can you think of specific times that they have inspired you to make positive changes in your life? If not, you may be allocating too much time to the wrong people.
Time is one of the greatest things you can give a person. It is something that is limited, and can become scarce after you take out the amount of time you sleep, eat, and work. When you have free time, are you spending it with people that teach you new things? Or challenge you to be a better individual?
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James details the importance in picking your friends, and even moreso with your close friends. It is said that you are known for those you hang around with. Those that are close to you are the ones that will influence you largely. Pick your friends wisely, because they will determine the quality of your life.
- It is the quality of your friends, relationships, and acquaintances, that determine the quality of your life.
- Who you hang around with effects the conversations that constantly surround you.
- If you spend time with people who are business savvy, then your conversations will revolve around business.
- If you are hanging out with healthy people, then you are going to have healthy conversations.
- Be choosey with whom you spend you time with.
- The top 5 people you dedicate your time to will influence your character the most.
- Who do you spend time with?
- Are you learning from them?
- Do you feel good after hanging out with them?
- Proximity is power. Whoever you are close to will influence you.
- Hang out with people you want to become like.
- Hang out with people who are smarter than you, who inspire you, who challenge you.
- Put yourself in situations that make you feel uncomfortable because the people you are with are smarter than you.
- Your standard of living will change depending on who you are with.
Direct download: James_-_EP_290.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Mon, 1 May 2017
People all across the world have shelves and shelves of books that discuss self-help. Every years hundreds and hundreds of books are published on self-help, ranging from business topics, to weight loss, to spiritual pick me ups. Do you find yourself constantly purchasing these types of books, but never actually applying any of these tips to your life?
Think about your own life, the knowledge that you have, and what you need to do to change something in your life. Do you apply the knowledge you have to your actions? Or do you simply learn new information, and place it on the shelf?
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James discusses the importance of taking action when it comes to self help and not just sitting by as your life goes on. Do not let your self help turn into shelf help!
- It’s not what you don’t know, it’s what you do know that you don’t do.
- If you know what you should do / what you are supposed to do, and you don’t do it, no amount of self help / new books / new coaching will help. You will become to ‘new’ things.
- Its great to get help, read books, get coaching tips, but if you do not actually take it to heart, nothing will change.
- If you don’t take action on the things you learn, nothing will change.
- Learn how to take action, and change what needs to change.
- Do not allow self-help to turn into shelf help.
- You do the right thing by buying the new book, seeing the new coach, attending the new seminar, but if you only turn it not shelf help then you will stay the same.
- People all across the world have shelves and shelves of self help books. This is fine, just actually apply the information in the books to your life.
- Recently attended a conference in Nashville, where I learned a lot, but spent a lot of money on learning new things.
- This money is not a waste, because I will apply it to my life. If I sat back, and did not change anything, then it would be a waste.
- If you want to improve, then simply apply the knowledge you have to your life, and things will change.
- It only matters if you do the things you know.
- The best way to learn anything is to teach it.
- Learn to be a man of your word, if you say you are going to do something, do it.
Direct download: James_-_EP_289.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Fri, 28 April 2017
Your network of friends and acquaintances hold the blueprint to your future, whether you recognize it or not. Who you hang around with influences you hugely, and will shape how successful you are. If those around you are not challenging you, holding you to high standards, being sources of inspiration and knowledge, then you should look at who you are surrounding yourself with.
Recently, on a trip to Nashville, James met up with entrepreneur, Mike Zeller, who started a variety of businesses, selling over one-hundred million dollars in product. Eli Wilhide, and Brandon Carter introduced us over email. Even this interaction demonstrates the importance in good relationships.
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James and guest, Mike Zeller, delve into the importance of friendships, and share stories from personal experience on this. Mike points out some daily practices he keeps in order to be most productive and aware of his time.
- Mike Zeller loves to launch businesses that will make the world a better place.
- Get close with people who also want to not only change the world, but make it better than before.
- Spend time with people who make things happen, and be a person that makes things happen.
- Mike argues that your life will be a reflection of the five people you are closest to. This includes healthwise, spiritually, mentally, athletically.
- Learn how to shift all relationships into something incredible and compelling, even if they are in a rutt. You can do this by setting new expectations and standards in order to create movement within the relationship.
- A self-directed life is empowering, you are in charge over your life, instead of feeling powerless.
- Three important parts to your day: mastery, purpose, and autonomy.
- Learn to be aware of these, and put an emphasis on each.
- Create the destiny that you want.
- It’s important to start your day off on the right foot, a simple 15 minutes of meditation, reading, etc.
- We have to fight to retain direction and control of our lives.
- Mike recommends to turn your phone on airplane mode in the mornings so that you can focus on yourself.
- It is important to protect your decision making energy. If you are constantly being pushed and pulled by others, you will become depleted of this energy.
To learn more about Mike Zeller, check out his website by clicking here
To check out his menswear line click here
Direct download: James_-_EP_288.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Wed, 26 April 2017
Are you thinking of starting a business or in the process of doing so? Do you often find yourself questioning if you are making the right decisions and moving forward with your plans? Do you ever feel that you are not making progress as fast as you thought you would?
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James details the importance in investing in a business coach. In 2013, James spent $25,000 on business coach, Ty Lopez, and because of that he has made one hundred times that.
The great entrepreneur and coach,Tony Robbins said, “ it doesn't matter what has happened to you in your past that determines who you become, rather it’s your decision on what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you are going to do about them that determines your destiny.” James discusses the importance of investing in a business mentor, and how it will speed up your process, as well as teach you things you didn’t even know you needed to know.
It pays to invest.
- I spent $25,000 on a business coach in October 2013, and it was the best investment I have ever made.
- Investing in one-on-one coaching will be the best investment for any business owner.
- James was coached by Ty Lopez, a controversial online entrepreneur who taught him more than he thought he would ever learn about business.
- Up until that point he attended free seminars, looked for free stuff, etc.
- Because the information was free, he was not valuing this information.
- The moment he spent the $25,000 was the moment he focused.
- It brought clarity on the topic, and forced him to put his nose to the grind.
- Things you learned:
- As soon as you take information seriously, you will start to see results.
- All the greats in life have mentors.
- How to create a business, start an ecommerce site, publish a book, put together programs
- Most recently started to put together a happiness program. Without the guidance of a business coach, there is no way he would venture into all these different business ventures.
- Richard Branson puts an emphasis on mentoring when it comes to making ones way in business.
- You have to learn to take action, in order for the payoff to come in 12-18 months down the line.
- It takes a while to see results on a new business venture, but having a business coach can speed this up.
- Work with people who are familiar with your line of work, and you can learn a lot from.
To join James inner circle click here
Direct download: James_-_EP_287.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Mon, 24 April 2017
Do you find that you are always reaching out to others, but you are often time being turned down? From romantic relationships, to friendships, or business endeavors, how do you reach out to others? Whether it’s asking someone to get coffee, dinner, or simply to hang out, you could be posing the wrong questions.
People are busy. Time is something that is not only fleeting, but something that people do not give up easily these days. We live in a selfish culture, where people are constantly thinking about themselves and their own success. It is very rare to find someone that is selfless, and willing to dedicate any time, or resources to another being. This might sound harsh- but you do it too, we all do!
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James discusses the importance of starting new friendships off on the right foot. He argues that the traditional route of offering coffee, or dinner to someone, in exchange for advice, does not work, as time is so important these days. He points out the importance of offering something of value to the person you are seeking help or advice from, something that can help them. Stop offering coffee, and start figuring out what you can offer of value, if you truly want a real, authentic relationship with someone.
- To earn the right to a real relationship, you must reach out with generosity.
- Stop believing that you are entitled to another person’s generosity.
- Work to earn the right to an authentic relationship.
- The way to earn an authentic relationship is by leading with generosity.
- Everyone is walking around, thinking about themselves first and foremost.
- Everyone is also busy, so people are selfish with their time.
- Don’t offer coffee or lunch, offer something that actually assists that person.
- It might sound transactional in the beginning, but then it will grow into an authentic relationship.
- Nobody in the begining wants a relationship with you.
- Just because you ask for help, does not mean you will receive it.
- Don’t bust your ass to be, but bust your ass to be generous.
- Do an experiment and try connecting with someone the way you normally do, and then try my way by offering them an offer of value.
Direct download: James_-_EP_286.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT
Fri, 21 April 2017
People say you need to look back on old times in order to give you perspective on where you are going. Recently, James headed back to his homeland of Australia for two weeks where he traveled all over attending different events, meeting up with a variety of people, and even visited his childhood home.
On this episode of the James Swanwick show, James returns to Los Angeles from his two week trip to Australia. While in Australia James attended his cousin, Sylvia Jeffrey’s, “who’s who” of celebrity weddings in Australia. He then had a meet up in Sydney on Bondi Beach with some of his instagram and snapchat followers. All the while he was there, he had time to catch up with a variety of friends, as well as make new ones, as well.
Not only did James catchup with friends while in Australia but he also took time to drive out to the town where he was born, and visited his childhood home. He also saw a psychologist in Brisbane with his brother Tristan, to work on communication to benefit their business ventures. While on the trip, he read the book Radical Candor by Kim Staff, on how to be a leader, how to converse with employees, and how to be radically candid with people.
- Attended his cousin’s star studded wedding, had a great time, and realized the idea of a traditional wedding ceremony is not fitting for his tastes.
- Even though he personally is not a fan of wedding ceremonies, he enjoyed the immense positivity that encompassed the entire wedding.
- Had great rapport with Peter Fitzsimons about abstaining from alcohol.
- After the wedding, he stayed in Sydney for a few days, and had a meet up with instagram and snapchat followers on Bondi Beach.
- Always nice to put a faces to names, allows you to interact with your customers, and know what’s important to them.
- Having relationships, interactions, and connections with people is so important.
- One thing that is important for business owners: If you genuinely care, and want to help a lot of people, start with one person.
- Following this, he met up with one of his inner circle coaching members, Tyson Brown, on Bondi Beach, as well.
- Next, James headed to Melbourne to catch up with business partner Craig Hutchison, host of the TV show called the Footy show.
- Went to Noosa, caught up with his friend, Brad Blanks, his wife Juliet, and their family.
- Next, went to Melbourne, to visit his childhood home.
- He talked with the new owners about their experiences in the home, took a video of the home, and sent it to his parents.
- The whole experience gave him a humbling perspective, and was a positive experience as a whole.
- While there, he went to a psychologist with his brother Tristan, had two sessions totalling around 4 hours.
- Worked on communication, especially regarding when the other was upset.
- Choosing your language is very important, learn how to describe how you feel.
- For better communication regarding problems try these things:
- Acknowledge the other person
- State how you feel because of their actions
- State why it's important
- Come up with a possible solution
- Went on a few short dates while in Australia, which were filled with friendly conversation, and great topics.
- Try smiling at people, be friendly, make friends
- Side note: If you are wondering how to get advice or attention from someone, then do something like pick them up at the airport.
- I had someone ask me if I needed rides, which in turn, I received a free ride, and they received free advice.
Direct download: James_-_EP_285.mp3
-- posted at: 1:27am PDT
Wed, 19 April 2017
Do you struggle with being happy with what is going on in your life? Do you ever find yourself thinking that you are the only one dealing with a specific problem? Are you constantly plagued by negative thoughts about yourself, and positive thoughts about others? Do you find yourself believing that everyone else has it together, and you are alone in your struggles?
Well, I don’t have my shit together. I am the same as you, I have problems. Change your thinking and stop thinking that everyone else is happy. No one is happily put together, because everyone has problems. Whenever I meet people who are seemingly doing better than myself, I start to believe that they have all aspects of their lives put together, while I am struggling. It might be different for others, and they might be jealous of what I am doing. Everyone is different, everyone has different struggles, different things that make them jealous.
Understand that everyone has struggles, everyone has hardships, everyone has negative thoughts; you are not alone.
- Everyone has problems that they are worried about, you are not alone.
- No one is seamlessly put together, and content with all aspects of their life.
- If you go through the day worried about different problems, insecurities, or negativities, you are going to have a negative disposition.
- If you believe you have to achieve some type of success to be worthy of a relationship then it will never happen.
- SO, give yourself a break.
- You don't have all your shit together, but neither does anyone.
- You need to change your mentality, and alter your mindset.
- The only way you can grow is through resistance to negativity.
- The key to empathy is vulnerability.
- Everyone feels inferior, so when you can simply admit that, that’s when relationships form.
- Be vulnerable, talk about your losses and failures, you will find connections from it.
- There will always be room to create new problems, if you allow for it.
- Self-preservation is a natural thing, but vulnerability fosters growth.
- You will never be able to rid yourself of negative feelings, but you can learn how to curb them.
Direct download: James_-_EP_284.mp3
-- posted at: 3:00am PDT
Mon, 17 April 2017
Do you desire a job where you do not clock in and clock out each day? Do you desire a job that is not average, and is something everyone is jealous of? Have you ever thought of ditching your day job and starting your own business? On today’s episode of the James Swanwick show, James is joined by Daniel DiPiazza, entrepreneur and author, who discusses what triggered his love of business, and the freedoms that come with it.
When Daniel graduated from college in 2009, the economy and real estate market were at a lull. He realized he had two choices, either to do the corporate route or complete a higher education degree. He, simply, did not want to do either. He began working a bunch of random jobs, and started blogging about it. Working in what he called, ‘dead end,’ jobs allowed Daniel to pick up on multiple skills including learning how to organize systematically and how to eliminate small problems in your work. Shortly after working in these jobs, he realized he wanted to start his own business.
Daniel points out that businesses solve pain points, then poses the question: what pain points can you solve? Daniel points out that often times people fear looking stupid when starting a business, but that will actually waste their time. Daniel DiPiazza teaches you how to ditch your average job, start an epic business, and score the life you want. You can read more about Daniel in his new book Rich20Something.
- Daniel wrote Rich20Something in response to working a bunch of dead end jobs, and finally starting his own business.
- Daniel points out there are different phases you go through when starting a business, and the frustration that comes with each.
- Learning how to spread out your emotional energy is important, so you do not overstress in the first stage.
- Entrepreneurship is great, but you have to learn to be able to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- Daniel always recommends freelancing for those who want to ditch their day jobs and start their own business.
- Do an inventory of your skills to see what you can offer.
- It is a great first step, as it is something you can do on the side while still working your full-time job.
- You can start it immediately, do not need to buy product, hire staff, etc.
- You can advertise your skill sets on a variety of platforms including social media, quora, reddit, or upwork.
- The quickest way to success is to simply improve upon something that is already available.
- 3 step validation process:
- Is there anyone else doing it? Is there a market fit?
- Is your competition making money?
- What can you do to improve your product?
- Tips with starting your own business:
- Learn to balance your freelance income with your job.
- Have a plan A and a plan B. Let your plan B redirect your failed plan A, if it does fail.
- It is important to learn how to communicate with people efficiently.
- Put your product / service on the market, even if it is not perfect yet.
- Have 100 meaningful conversations with different people over the course of the year, with what you are doing. This:
- Creates and solidifies your elevator pitch
- Opens networking opportunities, and you will meet way more than 100 people
- Will grow your confidence with the process over time
- Starting your own business will teach you the:
- Importance of good leadership
- Importance of building good systems that are not dependent on you
- Ability to grow up, and separate your emotions from the things you are in charge of.
- When you start a business you can hire people, you can travel, you can have freedom, and you can create the life you want.
Get your copy of Daniel’s book, Rich20Something here.
To keep up with Daniel, follow his instagram at rich20something or clicking here.
Direct download: James_-_EP_283_-_Daniel_Di_Piazza.mp3
-- posted at: 12:01am PDT